Enrollment is July 25-31. Click here for more information. 

West High Information

firebar

School Mission

The mission of Wichita High School West is to Instill Hope, Develop Minds, and Build Communities for the 21st Century.

firebar

Vision Statement

The vision of Wichita High School West is to create a school environment in which students and staff feel connected. This environment fosters imagination, creativity, empowerment, productivity, marketability, and compassionate service to others.

firebar

Core Values

Respect
Being of decent conduct and high esteem
Responsibility
Accountable, reliable, and trustworthy
Commitment
Possessing a strength of purpose
Integrity
A code of values that promotes honesty
Community
Organized around common values
Achievement
Accomplishment and successful completion through hard work

firebar

Site Council Information

Each school has a site council, which is a group of parents, community members, business representatives, teachers and other school staff. Site councils identify, consider and discuss educational problems and issues at the school. Councils provide advice and counsel for evaluating state, school district and school site performance goals and objectives. Councils may also recommend methods that may be employed at the school site to meet these goals and objectives.

Meeting day: Four times a year; on evenings to be determined
Time: 6:30 p.m.
Location: Room E9/11

firebar

School History

In September 1953 Wichita High School West opened, the culmination of a drive begun in 1925 when the West Wichita Community Council started campaigning for a high school west of the Arkansas River. Twenty years elapsed before plans for a vocational-technical school started. Development of these plans resulted in an academic school now classified as a comprehensive high school by the North Central Association.

The one-story, intercom equipped, multi wing building designed by architects Glen H. Thomas and A.B. Harris served as the prototype for the later construction of Wichita High Schools South and Southeast. The building was regarded as adequate for the long-range needs of the community; but by the third year of operation it was necessary to add 25 classrooms, and by 1971 the building was surrounded by 24 portable units. The first year the student body totaled 1,035 students - by 1959 there were 1,907. The rapid growth made it impossible to practice the original concept of having each department housed in its own wing. The faculty doubled and the enrollment more then doubled. A new library media center was added in 1976 and the existing library was renovated. In 1979 Wichita High School Northwest opened which caused the enrollment at West to decrease.

At its inception, only 22 percent of the graduates went on to college. Therefore the curriculum reflected an emphasis on vocational preparation. In the large homemaking department the students studied food preparation, family budgeting, child care and family relations so they were prepared to enter home and family life. The business education department offered courses in stenography, secretarial training, retail selling and business, and the industrial education department offered printing, mechanical drawing, general metals, woodworking, auto mechanics, electricity and other trades.

The first graduating class erected a memorial to the Pioneers of the West. The class of 1956 planned its own commencement with student speakers, a practice since adopted by other schools in the city. In 1969 a group of art students and their instructor created a sculptured relief mural in fired clay, 20 feet long and 15 feet high, outside the school office. The cast bronze-effect mural illustrates mathematics, art, music, drama, social studies, science, industrial arts, language arts, home economics and business curricular areas.

Lockers were replaced in 1981. In 1988 and 1989 alterations were made to the cafeteria and several classrooms.

In the fall of 1988, all ninth graders were moved to high schools. The enrollment has leveled to an average of 1,500 students.

From A History of Wichita Public School Buildings, c 1997


firebar

Alma Mater

To you, our West High, We owe all our devotion, Our pride, and our happiness, too.  All the friends we have known and the memories that linger will always remain dear and true.  The day soon will come when we'll make our departure; The skies may not always be blue. Our tasks will be lighter; Our futures, much brighter, and, West High, we owe it to you.

Fight Song

Roll down the field you Pioneers
Roll on to victory
Maroon and gold
Will always stand for pride and loyalty
Rah rah
Let’s pass the ball on down the field
A touchdown sure this play
West High will always win the fight
It’s victory sure today West High has no fear
Follow the Pioneers West High has no fear
Follow the Pioneers West High has no fear
Follow the Pioneers West High has no fear
Follow the Pioneers
< Rouser>Go go go go
Go Pioneers!
Fight fight fight fight
Fight Pioneers!
Win win win win
Win Pioneers!Go go go go
Fight fight fight fight We are the Pioneers!


Looking for a West High map?
     Click here to download a map of West High


firebar
Wichita High School West | 820 S. Osage St. | Wichita, KS 67213 | Ph. 316.973.3600 |
Joel Hudson, Principal
Copyright © 2012 by
Wichita Public Schools | Comments

Disclaimer | Site Map | Privacy Policy | View "printer-friendly" page | Login   
Site powered by SchoolFusion.com © 2014 - Educational website content management